Saturday, February 2, 2019

Review - Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (Christopher Moore)

If you believe every single word in the Bible is the truth and real - stop reading right now.

This is not the book for you.

I mean it - you will be horribly offended by this book, and likely call it a blasphemous, unholy thing that will doom us all.

Keep your dooms-daying to yourself.

************************************************************



(For everyone else, keep reading).

Kids will be kids and boys will be boys. We've all had that *one* friend that was our tried and true pal no matter what, but also caused us a lot of trouble and grief. You know - the one that taught you to lie, or what bad words meant, or teased you but you didn't quite understand it. A nice bully-without-really-being-a-bully-who-defended-you-even-when-you-were-an-asshat.

Enter Biff - I might have actually believed more of the religious system I was raised with had the Bible been written to really reflect humanity with all of our truths and torments and mistakes. In fact, I wonder if the psychological issues associated with perfectionism would even exist if everyone knew that Christ had imposter's syndrome too???

Everyone has a nickname - Biff is the nickname of Levi. Yep, that guy. And let's just say he is definitely a handful, but a dutiful friend as he teaches his buddy Joshua (Christ) about sin through harlots, trickery, and other eye-opening experiences for the Messiah. 

Another hilarious book by Moore - and yet another one I couldn't put down. I definitely have a go-to author when I need something light and thought-provoking with just the right amount of crass and believability. It's a wonderful story (again - see my disclaimer at the start of this post.....) that has me thinking about how different I'd be if I had a friend like Biff - one who taught me about just living and enjoying life and worrying less about being perfect.

We all know about the infant born in a stable to a virgin in Bethlehem, the 3 wise men (two apparently are brothers) who came and found him. Love is not something you think about - it is a state in which we dwell. That gift is learned, and was turned into the modern day account of the New Testament (at least, according to Moore, and it sort of makes sense when you think about Christ's commandment to love. He learned it from the old man in the mountains, by the way....).

I love how Moore brilliantly fills in the 30 years between Christ's birth and the Gospels, and how it is very clear that the New Testament was not used as a basis for the story. I mean, for real - as Jewish boys they'd be very familiar with the Old Testament, so it makes complete sense to have their growing up experience written with such detail.

Oh - and Catch the Demon makes a repeat appearance. I squealed a bit with delight upon discovering this.

Another 5 star rating for Moore's books. I can't wait to read the rest of his works.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment