Sunday, January 13, 2019

Review: The Terrans (Jean Johnson)

Read this book.

Read this book. NOW.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which read like a well-done prequel (side note: apparently it is a prequel to the rest of Johnson's series, which I did not know when I added it to my list). At times it felt a little Super Trooperish, if a cop comedy was set in outer space on the verge of a cannibalistic disaster. (Perhaps that makes it more CHiPs like than Trooperish….anyway, my point is there was enough humor to keep the book light). After my last book, I was relieved to find something amusing, light, and engaging.

To me, this read in a very plausible way - the level of optimism mixed with caution by the characters in the book. How one person existing at the intersection of a bubble about to burst can either be the heroine or doom everyone. Not only is this a politically charged book, it connects on a personal, emotional level.

That's what drew me in, honestly. Johnson's flavor of writing is simplistic, making this an easy read. But the development of the story, the characters, the entanglements that are lurking just below every interaction - that's what captured my interest and made this book hard to put down. I will definitely be adding Johnson's other books to my to-read list.

(I wonder if these will be a bit like Star Wars, in that purists expect true fans to watch Episodes IV, V, and VI first, then the prequels. In which case, I unknowingly may have done myself a disservice).

Overall rating is 4 stars out of 5 (I deducted a star because it could have been wrapped up about 100 pages shy of where it did. It was still good though).

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment