Friday, June 14, 2019

Review: A Record of a Spaceborn Few (Becky Chambers)

I'm just going to come out and spoil this book for you, mainly because I read the first two in the series last year.

If you want a subtle, quiet, endearing book that tugs at all sorts of emotions while wrapping you up in a cozy blanket, this is the book for you.

Normally I don't like the flip-flopping that takes place between characters, a few pages at a time (reminder: I ripped Brinn's book apart for this). However, Chambers has a way with her writing that is so endearing that after i dealt with my annoyance of some characters (like the overly dramatic teenage boys) I enjoyed moving between each substory.

In a sense, this could almost be a standalone book from her other two - it's semi-related, but tugs at more universal and philosophical questions regarding ethics, evolution, exploration, tradition, and checking one's assumptions about the world around them. Everyone - and that includes the toddler Kai - evolves their mindset and situation (well, except for the 23-yr old Sawyer who met his fate about halfway through the book. Don't worry, his demise has a happy resolution). And I found it fascinating as I reflect on how I shift and evolve, as do those around me.

This is a solid meditation on time and what rich possibilities contact with other species has for humankind, while also reminding us to not fuck up our own planet so badly we have to abandon it and lose touch with the very things that do make us human.

Five stars all the way

Happy Reading!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment