Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Review - Until Proven Guilty (J.A. Jance)

Well, as TeeBall season and coaching responsibilities seemed to drastically impact my reading abilities, I'm happy to report finally finishing a book. And, I have to admit I was a little skeptical about this book. However, it drew me in and I found myself connecting with the characters, imagining them vividly.

JP Beaumont is a Seattle PD homicide detective, with a new partner (Ron Peters). The book opens with a grisly tale of a 5yr old girl found murdered in the bushes. Not something I enjoyed as an opening, but i kept going, determined to get farther before casting judgment on the book. Ironically, I really enjoyed Beaumont as a character - a gruff, kermudginly sort in his early 40s. He was thorough and cautious, a man of few words despite the inner monologue of narration, which I found oddly enjoyable.

As the investigation continued, a religious cult, old fraternity rivalry, and love at first sight all made their literary debut. Oddly, I enjoyed the secondary character - a neighbor of the little girl who despised the religious cult leader, Michael Brody. Sophie the neighbor reminded me of Sophia from Golden Girls, the way she was described. And sharp as a whip with a crack sense of humor too.

Spoiler alert - don't root for love at first sight in a murder mystery. It doesn't end well.

I laughed often and shook my fist equally as often reading this book. Not a hard read by any stretch of the imagination, but a delightful one nonetheless. I may come back to the rest of the series at some point - these are good "popcorn" type books to fill in between denser material, and a good way to ease back into my neglected book list.

Next up is The Thirteenth Tale by Setterfeld.

Happy Reading!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment