Saturday, January 19, 2019

Review - The Four Noble Truths (Dalai Lama XIV)

Five stars - I won't even make you read to the end to get my rating.

Sometimes we are not ready for the knowledge that sets us on the right path. Years ago I worked for a woman who was a practicing Buddhist. Amidst the worst stress imaginable at work, I always looked at her in awe. We spoke often, and she often shared with me her perspectives and tried to teach me about the Eightfold Path.

But I was not ready.

I have now taken 3 weeks to read The Four Noble Truths - my heart feels energized, different. I have new thoughts and perspectives. I can understand my own suffering, desires, and the peace that comes from releasing my own chains.

The truth of suffering, the cause of suffering, the end of suffering, and the path that ends suffering - sound too good to be true? Then you are not ready for this wisdom or these words.

This is not to say I am converting and becoming a gung-ho Buddhist. However, this is me saying that with each new perspective interweaving with other feelings, beliefs, thoughts, and information I am becoming more enlightened. My mind is expanding, my heart is fuller, and I will let myself simmer as I work through each pain or point of suffering on my journey to my higher purpose and higher path.

The best way to describe the lessons I've learned is to use an - wait for it - analogy!

Think of the octopus. Octopi are marvelous creatures that are brilliant and capable in ways that are deeply spiritual. As invertebrates, they are not constrained by bones or a spinal column that restricts their movements. They move freely, adapting to their environment. Their movements are graceful, marvelous, like flowing water. They inhabit an environment that is ever-changing, moving with it and adapting effortlessly. Coming to terms with the root of suffering and how to end it - the calm that comes - it is the same as appreciating the beautiful, magnificent creatures that flow with the water and adapt to the environment around them. Humans can learn a lot from octopi.

Sometimes it takes nothing for us to find our paths. Sometimes it takes a great deal of courage - and sometimes it takes gifts of love from others. Whatever calls you and helps you find your path, understanding The Four Noble Truths will certainly change you.

Happy Reading.
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment