Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Review - Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson)

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

I LOVED THIS BOOK.

For real. This was a fantastic cyberpunk book that brought together some of the best elements (and very realistic representation at times) of hackers and cyberpunk in general. It took me right to my youth when I fell in love with cyberspace, the art of the possible, and the two movies that really got me thinking about fraud/security - Sneakers and Hackers. (Set the acting aside and pretend its the 90s again....these movies/stories were phenomenal given the world where it was then).

There really was no "bad guy" but Hiro was definitely the good guy. And I love this sort of storyline - one where nothing is black and white, where everyone believes they are doing what is right - it is very utilitarian in serving the interests of the many at the expense of the few. The way Stephenson toggled between the Metaverse and reality, the depth and descriptions and how the storylines were intricately woven.

And then Raven and Hiro - I did NOT see that coming at all! Plus, Raven and Y.T. probably gave some inspiration to the sad romance novels and 50 Shades crowd, so while a random add - it was a fun one nonetheless.

5 stars - can't wait to read more of Stephenson's stuff. It is now tied with Ready Player One as my favorite book of all-time.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment