Thursday, January 3, 2019

Review: Ho'oponopono (Ulrich Dupree)

I am sorry.
Please forgive me.
I love you.
Thank you.

Four simple sentences. What do they evoke for you? Are these words we say to those we have wronged? How often do we think these things this simply and never say them?

And yet, these four sentences made a profound imprint on my being. These four sentences are not for others' ears or hearts. They are for each of us - individually.

Ho'oponopono literally translates "To Make Rightly Right." Ho'o is Hawaiian for "to make" and pono means "right". This direct, concise, clear book interweaves spiritual elements for how we heal and achieve our higher purpose, through love and focusing intentionally on the vibrational web of the world. Little exercises, so simple that even my youngest son understands the profoundness of this wonderful Hawaiian ritual.

When was the last time you forgave yourself? When was the last time you saw and truly understood the reason for a challenge or difficulty or harm in your life as being a benefit in achieving your highest purpose and good? These are things that I am actively working on in myself, and it is no coincidence that an enlightened mentor provided this little book to me at precisely the right time.


I had trouble with how accountability was approached in this ritual - the idea that I am accountable for something halfway around the world or in someone else's life that I am disconnected from. Yet as I reconsidered and meditated on the examples provided, it clicked that everything starts with me (just as everything starts with you). Until I heal myself, I am only contributing to the problems surrounding me - friends, family, community, work, the world. With a few well-placed quotes by Gandhi, Aldous Huxley, and others - things clicked into place.

It is not about wishing the past experiences were different - it is about understanding those experiences are necessary as we walk the journey in achieving our highest purpose. If those experiences we regret or think scornfully about never happened when they did, the vibration of them and their lessons would take place somewhere else down the line. This was a powerful realization in my self-reflections as I heal and move forward.

It is not forgiveness in the way we have been conditioned (at least conditioned in the United States). It is forgiveness of self. Forgiving myself for that presentation that wasn't as high quality as usual, or forgiving myself for letting my body get run down and sick. Forgiving myself for how my decisions impacted others. Forgiving myself for my fears. Forgiving myself for.....

This is the shortest book on my reading list this year, 96 pages no bigger than a 4x6 index card. However, it is proving to be the most powerful set of 96 pages I have read in my life (yes, more powerful than the Bible, Abraham Hicks, or those neuroscience books I've been enjoying), and a vibrational match as I walk along my path.

Solid A/5-stars/whatever your highest rating for books is - and one that will live on my nightstand, being utilized daily.

I am sorry.
Please forgive me.
I love you.
Thank you.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment