Sunday, August 25, 2019

Reflections at the end of summer

Okay the end of the 8th month in 2019 is nearly upon us, and I've got some interesting revelations to share!

First, taking a new job and coaching teeball and adding a 2+hr a day commute really threw off my reading schedule. However, I'm back to consuming books at a rapid pace and enjoying myself. Lesson learned.

Second, I at least attempted books suggested. In some cases I just simply couldn't - i'd get around my 25% rule and just find myself dreading picking up the book or continuing. That really cut several books out of my list. I'm still debating if I'll do that with Outlander or not, but I'm going to give Game of Thrones a solid 50% before throwing in the towel.

Third, I found some amazing authors! So even though I'm giving up on some books, I've replaced them with books by the same author in the series. S.L. Huang is a new fav, and I'm really enjoying the 2nd book in her Cas Russel series, Null Set. Additionally, Robert Jackson Bennett's City of series is phenomenal. Excited to start #2 in the set this week.

This has helped me grow and stretch in a lot of ways. However, it's also helped reinforce a lot of my preferences about books. I still need the occasional (25-30%) non-fiction business/self-help book, but I can definitely enjoy way more variety now. And I'm excited to see what I discover about my reading in the last 4 months of the year.

Of the original list I posted on January 2, here is what remains:
5. Troubled Waters – Sharon Shinn
6. In the Name of the Wind – Patrick Rothfuss
10. The Kill Artist – Dan Silva
23. Seveneves – Neal Stephenson
24. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
25. Children of Time – Adrian Tchaikovsky
28. Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
30. Homeland – R.A. Salvatore
32. Game of Thrones – A Song of Ice and Fire – George R.R. Martin
33. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
34. Wizard’s First Rule – Terry Goodkind

I've added several books to the list, and am sitting at 43 in total for the year. Granted, one of those was a cookbook, and another was on Guinea Pigs, so we can net me out at 41 books. 

Ok - back to it - happy reading everyone!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment