Thursday, February 21, 2019

Review - The Templar Legacy (Steve Berry)

Ok I'm going to admit there is something about Templar lore and the Free Masons Guild and anything that plays on the two that intrigues me to no end (thank you, bad 1990s PC games, Gabriel Knight). I'm fascinated by the variation and interpretation surrounding essentially the same set of events, "facts", and yet wildly different conclusions.

Enter Cotton Malone, the chief protagonist in this story, The Templar Legacy. While I certainly would not call myself an expert on the Knights Templar, I can tell you I struggled with Berry's rendering and how the chief Templar beliefs were (or in some cases, were not) woven throughout this story. In fact, part way through I was expecting Tom Hanks to make a cameo - oh wait, that was Brown's Da Vinci Code....totally separate theme....

But not really.

Yeah, I know that's sort of a spoiler. It's an important one to level-set expectations. As a popcorn read, I will likely continue with the series when I just need something to fill in the time. It's Brown-esque in how the theme comes to light. The historical fiction and easy writing style made this a fun-enough read, but I can't say I was as motivated to read it as some other, denser books.

Overall just average. Friends who really enjoy Berry's writing (and apparently the entire Malone series) assure me that his books improve. Since I didn't completely hate it, I may come back to Mr. Malone for his female sidekick when i'm feeling bored and lonely at a different point in time.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment