Saturday, March 2, 2019

Review - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Susanna Clarke)

Little known fact: I've always been fascinated with the time period between 1700 and 1850. There is something about that 150-year period that regardless of location on Earth, there are common themes. And, Bonaparte was certainly a more lively character from the history books.

So, if I were going to be a magician during this time period? I'd probably be one like Mr. Norrell.

He has this calm yet intense air about him, with a sharp mind and masterful power. It's fascinating how because of raising the dead suddenly magic is seen as respectable. (I mean really - why not be excited for magic that cures or controls time? But raising the dead is apparently the thing....)

I imagine the meeting between Jonathan and Mr. Norrell playing out a bit like some know-it-all student trying to best their professor. Or, optimist vs. pessimist (or pragmatic). With Norrell's ego, it struck me as odd that he'd take on a pupil. I also find it fascinating that Norrell believes he's the only one who is right in knowing what the future of English magic should be.

For me, I liked how Clarke divided the book into volumes. This was such a long book that I would have been likely to get lost without such division. Yet her writing style kept me engaged and it was easy to recall the details as I was going through the book. And, because Clarke's work is so well-constructed, it felt like forever before I figured out the Man with Thistle-Down hair.

This was a masterful read, and something I hope to enjoy with my kids at the right time.

4 stars.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment