Sunday, March 10, 2019

Review - Sorcerer to the Crown (Zen Cho)

Another book set in a magical alternative to England during the Napoleonic Wars. And a fantastic read that I had trouble putting down.

Cho's Sorcerer to the Crown is everything you would expect from a novel that challenges beliefs, misogyny, and microaggressions head on. Both Zacharias and Prunella have to fight the beliefs of the white men that surround them while also leveraging them as allies (although in vastly different ways).

At first I struggled with Zacharias' character. I think that is in part because I was hoping he would have been more aggressive in tearing down the racism around him and defending himself. Yet the more I reflected on it, I find it fitting that he handled his world being upheaved so gracefully. Ironically, Prunella casting aside everything expected as "proper" for women was great - breaking free from the shackles of gendered expectations to really shine.

I'll likely add more of Cho's works to my reading list in the future. I enjoyed her style, and even when some of the details moved too fast or slow, the overall story progression was perfect for my mind.

5 stars

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment