Thursday, March 7, 2019

Reviews - Wool, Proper Gauge, Casting Off (Hugh Harvey)

It seems that when I select books that are not just book titles but also the title of trilogies, I should pay attention to what the library checks out to me.

I accidentally checked out the entire trilogy by Harvey and just finished it. Go me for exceeding expectations????

On to my review.

Reading Wool, Proper Gauge, & Casting Off (aka Wool 1, 2, and 3) felt at times deja vu - a throwback to reading Orwell or Huxley. Considering that at an early age I enjoyed dystopian reads, I found myself pulled into the amazingly simple plotline of this series due to the craft Harvey uses for the 21st century version similar to those literary masterpieces.

As a fun fact, there are a lot of knitting metaphors (thank you to my mother for imparting some of that crafty trivia in me....). Since those who know me know that analogies roll off my tongue like water in a rain catcher, the heavy use of metaphors throughout the book really appealed to me. That, and let's be real - i'm a fairly early adopter of technology and these books are FILLED to the brim with techno-goodness.

I picked these books based on the recommendations of IowaAdam at work - we talk books regularly and given our kids are close in age, he shared that this is a series he reads with his daughter. I have to say, I think my 10-yr old would really enjoy it (once he finishes his current obsession, which has now also been added to my reading list....all thirteen of those books....)

The only "spoiler" about the books that I will share is the frustration I felt where I was like "gah! I have to know what happened!!!!!" - that is probably why I kept reading and didn't realize I had checked out the first 3 books in the series.

A solid 4 stars, probably more like 4.5 - and I'll likely continue reading these books once I've burned down more of my list.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment