Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Review - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Alan Bradley)

This particular book was one I discovered while visiting a dear friend in Chicago. I started reading her copy and enjoyed the first few pages so much I opted to check it out from the library.

A murder mystery set post-WWII in England. And a young girl (the youngest of the three sisters) is not only a brilliant forensic chemist (before CSI was a thing of chemistry and science) but also wicked smart and funny.

I loved every bit of this book - it was dark with an almost jack-the-ripper quality about it, yet light and very English countryside. And, I kept turning the pages unable to figure out the real story until near the end.

We'll see if Bradley's other works hold my attention like this, but for now I'll give this one a solid 4 stars and keep British mid-20th century murder mysteries in my expanding repertoire of books to get lost in.

Happy Reading!
--Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment